Sunday 5 December 2010

Just Winter, No Summer Involved

Friday morning was spent in a series of expeditions around Malvern getting hold of household oddments. I bought a lovely warm pair of ankle boots which are waterproof (Gore-tex) and a new pair of sheepskin slippers. The last pair were at least 10 years old. 

I also acquired a power extension lead so that my new Anglepoise can operate on the desk upstairs. I have shifted all the bookbinding materials upstairs and can now work up there. I finished off the Wake Robin Coptic book.  I have three Japanese style books to finish off as Christmas presents.
To help me with bookbinding, I am now the proud owner of a book press. which dismayed me with its size and weight when it arrived. Even the delivery man complained but then he had come through snow to get it to us. I got Anne to help me carry it upstairs and install it. 

And the family are giving me other bits and pieces of equipment for Christmas.

I have finishing warping up on the Christmas cards and intend to weave a bit today. Not much has happened lately on the Megado although I have decided that I can't do any dyeing in our unheated garage until the weather gets better. I have decided to go back to the Tencel warp and redesign it to fit on the current ghost warp.

Yesterday we had some old friends round for the day which was very pleasant.

Tomorrow Michael sees his consultant about the bone scan results. I fear the worst. And on Tuesday he is having an urgent blood transfusion. He is having this at St Richards hospice (run by the McMillan Trust) so he will be ever so well looked after. They made it plain that they didn't want me so I can see a lot being done on Tuesday. Alternatively I could just catch up on sleep!

Rayna Gillman has a reference to a very interesting blog on juried exhibitions by Terry Jarrard-Dimond - definitely worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. My name is Myunghee Shin from South Korea!:) I've learned bookbinding in U.K. And still doing it. May I ask where could you get this bookbinding press? It is a really beautiful one! I would like to get it! Thanks,

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.