Monday 6 December 2010

How to Move a Totem Pole

I have been meaning to note this info for some weeks.

Google Reader provides a collection of blogs that it thinks I might be interested in. Some of them are definitely 'I wonder what I have done to deserve this one' but others are fantastic. There is one by Ellen Carrlee which deals with Ethnographic Conservation in Alaska.

She is amazingly versatile and the engineer in me really appreciated the blog on 'How to Move a Totem Pole' - without damaging it. It seemed to involve using every piece of heavy duty transportation in the State of Alaska! And I recognised the problems of unwieldy objects being lifted by cranes and cherry pickers - been there, done that, made a mess of it. Did I ever tell you about taking a radome aloft on a cherry-picker and deciding at the highest point that two of us were likely to be blown off the top clutching this radome which was very expensive?

Go read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.