Saturday 6 February 2010

Still books

I am grudging the time spent on putting the books back. Now that 30% of them are back, I have taken to putting books into categories on the floor. But there are always books that don't fit into categories.  Skunkworks? - the history of Lockheed. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Taking things to the extreme, I wonder if using the Dewey system would be a good idea. And I have a pile of unwanteds and duplicates - 2 copies of Five Towns by Arnold Bennett for example.

Yesterday I did more work on Kennet Valley courses. The Spreadsheet is up to date and sign-up sheets prepared for today. The Guild missed a meeting in January. Personally I was snowed in but the meeting was cancelled anyway. So there has not been a meeting since late November and I have added details of four new courses this week.  We have Isabella Whitworth doing a two day course on 'Working with Wax' - on silk scarves in June.  Jan Shailes is doing Fancy Spinning in September. I heard mention of feathers and beads. There is the annual day on acid dyeing and doing fancy dying on warps in October.  And one on Japanese-style book binding in November.  What with the residential weekend in May, that is 2010 fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.