Tuesday 9 February 2010

Kinran

In a previous post about purple donsu, I mentioned that I had two pieces of Japanese weaving called 'kinran'. One job on my long-term to-do list is to write these up as pieces of weaving for the Japanese Textile Group of Complex Weavers. Since the builders stopped me doing any of the things on today's list, I thought I would dig the two pieces out and start the write up. This involved examining them through a microscope and counting threads per 5 mm. The orange piece has a warp of 150 epi in orange silk. Each warp 'thread' is 6 to 8 single filaments laid side by side - no plying, no twist. The weft is similar but thicker and is woven at about 60ppi. The weaving of the background is in orange silk every where and is a 2 and 1 twill. The pattern wefts are thicker and there is a silk paper thread which is 0.25 mm wide. The wefts in the photo are running diagonally lower right to upper left.
You can see the tie-downs are quite far apart compared to the background orange weave. The tie-downs are just some of the warp threads. The pattern threads go right across the fabric and when they are underneath the fabric, they are also held by some of the warp threads (see second photo). I think this has been woven on a Japanese type of drawloom.













The biggest surprise was when I came to examine the off-white lining which I assumed was a fine cotton (as the second one is). Not a bit of it. It is woven at 100 epi and is not cotton. It has a white-on-white pattern of flowers and leaves. The steel ruler is in the photo to give scale but also to focus on. It was really difficult to get an image. Scanning was no use at all and I have cheated with Photoshop on the colour to bring out the pattern. The real colour is off-white. It has the appearance and high gloss of old much-washed-and-ironed linen like a 1920s linen tablecloth I have. The Japanese use hemp, ramie,   linen  and  other vegetable fibres. To me, the lining seems much older than the silk kinran which is probably post 1930s. The more I think about it, the more I value the lining! The seller (Ichiroya) did not mention it. You could spin fine enough linen for this but I do not know about ramie or hemp.

The other uchishiki is done in much the same manner but has a  brown warp of 100 epi and a balck weft of about 80 ppi. It is difficult to make out because of the colours in the background but I think it is a 3 and 1 twill. And the lining is a fine but dull white cotton.

So that's one job done. The article needs to have its spelling checked and I need to check on ramie and hemp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.