Monday 15 February 2010

Garden

This is our most advanced clump of snowdrops. Michael's  bunch expanded fully in two hours by hjis bedside and all the nurses exclaimed over them. When I listed what was in flower to Michael, he asked after the hellebores. They live behind a trellis and I forgot them - but they are getting on well.









When we moved in 24 years ago, there was one hellebore plant and rather a lot of  self seedlings so I let them get on with it. They started behind the trellis and have been left there since they like there. Occasionally I remove a plant which has really poor flowers and they get a few handfuls of bonemeal once a year plus some spadefuls of homemade compost.; Did I say that I am a compost freak? Even the output from the document shredder  goes on to the current compost heap. I had a compost place built - two bays 8 ft by 6 and 4 foot high. It provides enough compost to top dress the garden every year.

And this is as far as Cornish Snow has got. Not a single flower out yet. It is at least six weeks late.  But this looks as though two or three days of mild weather will bring out the whole bush. I inspected the other camellias and they are all well budded. I love camellias and I have to walk past garden centres with teeth clenched muttering 'I have enough. They get too big.' So we have Donation (semi-double pink, sprawls all over the place, very untidy but I forgive it for the flowers), Lady McKinnon (red double, tidy bush with glossy green leaves about 6 ft in all directions),. Francis Hanger (white semi-double, seen at Exeter University and hunted down. Only three years old) and China Clay. China Clay has huge fully double pure white flowers which are so large and heavy they face downwards.  I have measured one at six inches across. The plant is now 12 foot high and eight foot wide.  A piece of serendipity is that we planted it by the front door but 6 foot lower so you walk out of the front door and look up at the flowers. This was a garden centre buy.

As to textiles, the Megado is working and I have woven about five inches of silk - which I am unhappy about. I do not like the colours. I will weave a full 12 inches and then discuss it here.

Peace is disturbed by the pneumatic drill on the doorstep - yes I mean it. We are having the front door step replaced by a ramp for Michael's wheelchair. So the builder is taking up the step first. Means I can't get out of the house without being a nuisance

1 comment:

  1. I love your Spring flowers, you must be several weeks ahead of us, no sign of our Hellebores yet and the camelia buds are well rounded but no sign of opening. I can't think of anything that would cheer up hospital so well as flowers from home.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.