Saturday 20 February 2010

Deadlines

I admit I made a mistake! The closing date for entries to the Association's 2010 Exhibition is March 1st and, only on Thursday, did I work the timescale backwards. Michael comes home from hospital next Thursday afternoon and I can't see me doing anything textiley for a few days after that. So the entry has to be posted on Thursday morning at the latest. Which means it has to be photographed on Wednesday and off the loom and washed on Tuesday. To get there, I need to be weaving at least a yard a day. Well I managed a yard yesterday (Friday) and it may be seven in the morning but the loom computer has been switched on and I am ready to go.

The selvedge is good which I think is due to much practice and getting a rhythm going. It is
- throw shuttle under floating selvedge on entry, over it on exit
- bring beater forward to fell-line
- change treadle
- push beater back to rest

This is novel to me as I do not often change treadles with the beater on the fell-line. Another which affects the selvedge, I think, is that I only weave three inches before winding on. The Megado has 18 inches between breast beam and reed and it is a temptation to weave 6 or 8 inches before winding on but that is a mistake. The end-delivery shuttle helps as well.

I am reminded of a message in Weavetech from Tien Chiu about getting a rhythm going.

I have taken delivery of large pieces of equipment for Michael and realised then what is involved. So am madly trying to do as much as possible before next Thursday. I have guillotined lots of brightly coloured spills 9 mm wide for the drafting class on March 6th. I must do a bit of house cleaning today as well as sorting out the linen. I have bought quite a bit of bed linen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.