Thursday 4 February 2010

Books Books

Books everywhere!! The builders have finished that room and will complete the bathroom next week. All I have to do is put the books back. Oh and polish all the book shelves first.
So here are the books and behind are the polished shelves. When I told the builders that they needn't bother keeping the books in order, I had no idea just how mixed up piles of books could get. I thought I would start at the top shelf and work down. It has become more of a 'roughly where does this book go?' and then re-sort later. There are shelves to the right of the photo and most their contents are piled just out of sight. I need to say that this picture does not contain any textile books/journals which are upstairs nor does it contain any art books which have migrated to the office (all six shelves of them).

Some shelves have been filled. The Megado has surfaced from its plastic sheeting and the step ladder to get at the highest shelves is visible in the back ground. The little bit you see took me an hour to do. I can see this is going to take some time!

It is at moments like this that I wonder if a tent in the desert might not be a preferable way to live. Why on earth does Michael want a pile of copies of 'The Catgut Acoustical Society'? And whose are all the mathematical books on topology? They are quite interesting - but if I stopped to read all the interesting books, I would never get finished. I also came across two PhD theses - a bit out-of-date!!! Early 1960s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.