Saturday 29 July 2017

Weaving Day

Yesterday I went to an office in Bracknell and saw a photographic exhibition. Beautifully laid out, each photo was several foot across. All done by professionals and technically perfect. I thought about a third were wonderful. The rest was me - - I did not like them and in most cases said 'So?' As one judge at the local camera said 'where is the story?'

Today I drove over to Newbury and looked at the local camera club exhibition. A mistake after yesterday's excellence. Then I went off to the Guild's Weaving Study Day for this month. Lots of people with their looms and lots of gossip. I discovered all sorts of things I had forgotten Like I need my entries for the 2017 Exhibition to be delivered in 2 weeks. And I have a scarf to complete and the bookmarks to mount. I will start by trying to find a big sheet of foam board. Dorothy says there are some in the garage.

I meant to take a photo in the garden for this blog but high winds and lashing rain discouraged me. The zinnias look good and so do the sweet peas and the crop of French beans is threatening to overwhelm us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.