Saturday 8 July 2017

Opera

Those of you who have read this blog for a long time will know I am an opera lover. But recently I have not been much - until the last week! I have been to three! Firstly we watched Turandot in the telly as done on the Sydney docks. All the effort went into creating a spectacle. The arena was so big and the cameras so far away that little figures pranced about a distant stage and it was difficult to deduce what was going on. and they pruned one of my favourite arias. The singers were so so. 

Then on Thursday I went to see the new Glyndebourne opera, Hamlet, but in film. A lot of blood in the last ten minutes. Not a bundle of laughs. It was brilliantly sung. And very well produced. The critics said it was wonderful and would still be in the repertory in fifty years. I disagree but there you are.

And now to today. Dorothy and I took a train to London and went to a matinee of Turandot in Covent Garden. And discovered Sydney had thrown out more than I remembered. And Covent Garden was a great performance. The only drawback was that Turandot's high notes were squawky.  But a great time was had by both of us. And we had crepes for lunch which added to the general feeling of satisfaction.

The mundane side of life is very mundane. For some years, I have wanted to sort out my photos on the computer. The problem is Picasa which was bought by Google and then closed down. My problem that I need to check what is on Picasa and not on by computers. After several hours of work I discovered how to copy albums from Picasa to my desk top. I still have a lot to do but I have transferred all the really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.