Sunday 30 July 2017

An Existentialistic Crisis

A few years ago, I was accused of having an existentialist crisis which was me collaring anyone who would listen and pouring out my worries. I cannot for the life of me remember what the crisis was or how it was resolved. Anyway the current one centres on whether or not to buy a TC2.

Today my nephew came round (he knows about buildings. He used to build airports. These days he builds stores.)  He inspected the house for possible sites and suitable temperature ranges. Unless we can control the garage temperature, the garage is out. Any where upstairs we need to spread the load and it is impossible to house the pump unit without having the builders in. All in all a sorry tale.

And a friend has written to me asking a load of questions about the TC2. Really concentrating on what do I get out of having a TC2. The answer is I am not sure. Especially since the TC2 software seems to do most of the hard work of drafting.

Last night I had a dream. Now this is relevant. And rather startling. I was been talked to by my sister and Rosie Price and various other friends and they were all getting on to me about the TC2. I turned away and said I would do something else in stead, like writing a book and it would be different. I would take a design I had already completed and repeat the weave in three other yarns of different thickness but the same colours. And behold the book was in my hands full of wonderful photos doing just what I said. At which interesting point I woke up. Now I am not sure the book will get written but is this a way of giving me a major project for the rest of my life. I do not think I am buying the TC2. The upheaval would be tremendous.

And on a more cheerful note, the camera club has set three challenges, one of which is Machinery. The idea has exercised me for a month but this morning I took a lot of pictures of Dorothy sewing up her current quilt.

Now to find for the other two challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.