Sunday 23 July 2017

I have done very little in the last two days. We had a visitor all the week and I delivered her to the local station on Saturday while Dorothy went to Cambridge to see an old friend. I did nothing all day, except some gardening and reading books on photographs. Today I spent the morning dealing with paperwork like taxing the car and organising Anne's birthday. Anne has had an accident, fell off a horse and cracked a rib. So feeling sorry for herself.

The zinnias are out and I am running out twice a day to gloat.



But I have not said that our trellis of sweet peas and French beans has done very well indeed. I noted last autumn that the Royal Horticultural Society had completed trials on French beans and they voted a variety called Cobra as the very best. So I planted Cobra this year and it has done magnificently. The taste is really good and the crop is enormous. We are deep freezing two thirds of the crop. As for the sweet peas, last year they were fine but I attended Hampton Court Flower Show  in 2016 and came across a nursery selling sweet pea seeds and the colours were good, dark rather than wishy washy. So I sowed these in November in the greenhouse and worried about them all winter. We are swamped by sweet peas. And have taken to giving them to neighbours. And the colours are great 
A zinnia, the first of the crop

And a few sweet peas.

Tomorrow we are off to Hilliers arboretum to show Dorothy the Centennial border. Photos will be taken 

And I have done some weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.