Friday 10 March 2017

India 080317

On Tuesday, I went for a tour of New Delhi. Actually it was a tour of anything not Old Delhi. We started at Qtub Minar which is. 12th century mosque, now decommissioned. We used to have picnics here as a child. I remembered more than I suspected. There were cries of I remember that!! I had not thought of this place for. decades.

The tower. I remember the iron pillar and also seeing the madrasas in operation. These are Muslim schools where the class sat under a tree and was taught the Koran.

Then we did Lutyens New Delhi, elegant Government buildings in red sandstone and then Humayen's  Tomb. The entrance steps were long, dark and very steep. And no handrail.

And a pierced stone window

. After that it was back to the hotel whereDorothy had returned from her lunch at the High Commission.

The next day, we went to the Cottage crafts Museum andi fell in with an elderly weaver who normally operates a drawloom but waiting for his next warp. The result was that I got a personal tour of the textile section and had the differences in production among the various regions. So double weave, Ikat, drawloom, tie dye. It was great but no photos. When we had done there, we went to the National Museum and looked at hundreds of miniature painting and the game was to spot the difference in technique betweenness the various regions. 17th century Rajasthan was my favourite but no photographs.

After that it was back to the hotel, collect luggage and embark on the Palace on Wheels. A separate blog on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.