Sunday 2 September 2012

Lots of presents

Yesterday (Saturday) was 'present-to-Pat' day! This gorgeous cock, printed on cotton, was given to me by Linda Scurr because I had been talking in my blog about African cotton printed with cocks and  hens. Not enough to make a dress out of but just right for a studio cushion. I shall cut off the frieze of poultry and do something else with it.

And these elegant chopsticks and rest came from Manchester where my friends have been enjoying the Braid Society's conference. Lots of Japanese ladies in the attendees enjoying themselves enormously which gets round to the next present - from China. My daughter, Anne, and family are just back from China and full of what they had seen, heard and eaten. The grand-children were also very taken and I got a graphic description of cookery lessons somewhere in Beijing from my grand daughter.













It's a Chinese noren - door curtain. It is cotton dyed in indigo. I think a resist had been put on for the calligraphy which was washed out after dyeing.  I would like to know what it says and have emailed a photo to a Chinese friend in Kuala Lumpur. I don't want to hang it up if it says 'Death to You All'!!!!

And I got another very welcome present - some Lee's macaroon bars from Maggie Mockeridge. You can't get these in England, only Scotland and I told Maggie about them - after all she is a Scot! Well she's hooked too and I gather her husband is taking a dim view of this obsession.

I have been revising my presentation at Complex Weavers. It is about one of the Study Groups and the mentor cannot be present so two of us and standing in. Linda Madden who does beautiful weaving is the other one. Logistical problems have arisen about using a projector so back-up plans have been put together - based on printing everything out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.