Monday 24 September 2012

Gloat! Gloat!!

As weavers have stashes of yarn, so bookbinders have stashes of paper. The difference is that, if badly treated as in the photo on the left, paper gets damaged. It gets torn or folded. And it ought to be kept flat unlike the pile of patterned papers on the right of the photo. 



This morning, my new paper chest was delivered and installed. And all that paper stash has gone into it  with quite a bit of spare room. I had a happy time sorting the paper and putting it away and found all sorts of wonderful things. I am a bit short on chiyogami (patterned Japanese paper) but I have enough other patterned paper to cover books for the rest of my life. Not so much handmade paper for the text blocks though.

I ordered it in early summer from a local furniture maker and it was designed to my specification for the space it sits in. The drawers hold A1 size paper with a margin. The drawers are of sycamore and the carcase of black walnut.

And as a bonus, he is sure they have offcuts which I could have for the wooden covers of Coptic books. I am to visit their works later this week!

I am planning the latest changes to the studio, including rearranging the books on book shelves. The weaving/dyeing/etc books were brought down from upstairs some months ago and just heaved into the shelves in no order so I must sort them first. At the moment, I have to look through everything to find a book. I did design the triple weave piece intended for Michael's larger enamels last night and then discovered that I had no 12/2 cotton in black or blue. I have ordered what I need from William Halls and it will be here this week. So I will make up two cushions this afternoon and sort the textile books tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.