Monday 9 July 2012

A Party Weekend


My son-in-law was 60 last week and Anne organised a party for him. It started at 6 pm on Friday and continued until 8pm on Sunday. For which purpose she rented a mini-stately home which slept 30 in 5 star comfort. One problem was that the first and second floors were completely carpeted in white (!!!!) so we all had to take ourt shoes off in the hall and put on slippers - which the owners did supply.
This bit of plaster work gives the flavour of the house which had three diningrooms and more sittingrooms than we were quite sure of. Not to mention a heated swimming pool, a billiard room and a cinema. There was reputed to be a croquet lawn but it was raining too hard to go and find it.

There were more 30 people present for the whole weekend and few extras for the Saturday night party itself. 


Ruth and I contributed all the food for the actual party - and cooked it. The piece of resistance was (were)? two suckling pigs. Here is one being inspected. My butcher is a master butcher and prepared them for us. And kept giving me advice on what to do and how to cook them. They were delicious. We did all the trimmings plus an incredible number of puddings, trifles, Raymond Blanc's fruit salad, cheesecakes. I overdid the sherry in the trifles but everyone praised them so it was okay. Funny how everyone at a party wants to sample every pudding on offer.

Last night I took the grandchildren home to Leamington Spa as they have to go to school while the parents and some helpers stayed behind to clean the house up on Monday morning. 

I went to Kennet Valley Guild on Saturday for  the morning and  a bit of the afternoon. And I have a long list of jobs to do. So I will go away and decide what to do next. I have got some nice textile photos but will keep them for the next blog.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.