Wednesday 4 July 2012

Back Home




























We spent the last three days in Liverpool, including at the Albert Docks where we managed to escape the tour and go to the Tate Liverpool which is at the right hand end in the above photo. The Monet, Turner, Twombly exhibition is on and we did enjoy that. Some very nice Turners and the Monets were pretty good too. There are two other Museums on the site but  we had no time to see them. I would have liked to see the Maritime Museum.
This piece of gold work is in the great hall at Liverpool. It says SPQL not SQPR (Senatus Populusque Romana) with Liverpool substituted for Rome!!!!

Shows what Victorian Liverpool thought of itself.







This hydrangea was outside one of the many Anglo-Catholic churches we viewed. I have never been in so many High churches in my life and my Church of Scotland upbringing took over at the end. Hence photos of flowers outside as I could not stand the inside any longer.

We saw too many Pre-Raphaelites which I can't stand but the breaking point came in the Lady Leverhulme Gallery in Port Sunlight when the lecturer started to discourse on Leyton and Tadema. No, definitely not Pat. Port Sunlight itself is very nice. Built for the workers around 1900, it is quite varied in style and has masses of green space. Definitely worth seeing. There is a tiny Museum with a first rate video show.

I got home on Monday in the late evening and set to to catch up on post and hysterical phone calls. I managed to do that all yesterday. Today I will have to assembly the ring and piece of silk for the Association Exhibition.  Last night I prepared all the drafts for the Barbara Walker course at the end of August. I am going to hand out the drafts and paperwork at the Guild meeting this Saturday.

So it is back to normal. I have the new curtains to make but I must do some urgent picture framing which is half done. The idea is to finish what has been started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.