Monday 23 July 2012

Bookbinding and Hawks

Last Sunday, I went with my grandson, Alex, to Newent Falconry Centre where he had a halfday training on handling birds of prey. This included a Harris Hawk, a lanner falcon, and several owls. Alex is devoted to owls and so he was very happy. I have got a good photo but Dorothy's computer is refusing to play ball this morning.

I have finished two Japanese books and one Coptic book. Again I have photos but - - - . I have prepared a second Coptic book and a Japanese book out of all the oddments of paper I had. I should be finished these today and tomorrow I start warping up for Barbara Walker's course. In case any reader wonders about this. She is coming over to teach at the Braiding Society big thrash in Manchester and then coming on to Kennet Valley to teach a 3 day course on 'Stripes with Attitude'. (Last weekend in August Saturday to Monday). There is still a place or two available. I brought my Voyager with me as I thought warping up would be a good idea.

Added later as was the above photo of Alex and a hawk considering each other

Two Japanese style books. The covers are fabric painted with Procion MX plus Manutex and highlighted with gold powder mixed with textile medium. Como silk from Handweavers Studio was used for the sewing thread. The text block is of multicoloured lokta paper which you can just see peeking out on the right.

















Here are the two Coptic books. The fabric covers were made at Rayna Gillman's class a year or so ago. Paper is white lokta paper.









 This is a Japanese style book with the text block made out of remnants of paper. It is only four inches square. The sewing is with a space dyed silk thread from Oliver Twist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.