Thursday 12 July 2012

London visit

On Tuesday  I went to London with Rosie Price. The objective was the Bauhaus exhibition at the Barbican. We spent over two hours inspecting it. There was quite a lot of weaving and it was shown so that you could get your nose up to the glass. One was shown at an angle and you can imagine two weavers on their knees, nose to the glass saying 'Look there are three colours in  the warp. It has got to be triple weave.' After that we went in search of a button coverer somewhere off Berwick Street in a basement. Very business-like. Not a shop but a workshop full of machinery. Then on to Tate Britain to see the Picasso exhibition. The theme was Picasso's influence on British artists. I had not recognised that Wyndham Lewis was influenced by Picasso. I should have done. I also realised that I do not much care for Duncan Grant. And that I do like Wyndham Lewis. There was a wonderful portrait in the Walker Art Gallery.

After that there was nothing for it but go and sleep in the train home!

I am getting ready to go north to Dundee next week and must finish off a fair few jobs before I go. So yesterday the ladies who come weekly to turn the house out, found themselves in the garden picking fruit. It took me two hours in the evening to clean it all, bag it and put it in the freezer. We have had a glut of gooseberries this year. I also had some sawing up of hardboard done.  I have never got round to framing the Malaysian songket and must take one north with me. So I made three frames and will get them glassed today or tomorrow. I got up early this morning, checked the frames and pinned them.

Today expedition is to Birmingham to see the kente weaver with some members of Kennet Valley Guild. And to introduce them to the Rag Market. I am looking forward to seeing their reactions,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.