Wednesday 1 February 2012

More Indigo Dyeing

Yesterday I went to Birmingham with an indigo vat in the boot - plus all the bowls, buckets and tools needed. The meeting was organised for the Midlands Textile Group but various other people came too. The primary purpose was for Sarah Cage, the hostess, to show people how to do natural dyeing. We worked in her conservatory  and everyone did lots of 'stuff'. The photo on the right is a piece I created at Committed to Cloth last autumn which I have got to dislike more and more. So this is after clamp resisting and a few minutes in an indigo vat. Much improved in my opinion. I believe that this is because the eye sees the clamp pattern first and the words are now subdidiary.












 I did several skeins of wool and the ikat warp and four balls of white 3ply  as shown on the left. I dunked each ball in the vat by about two thirds.  The final result of one ball when in a skein is also shown. Mottled blue would be a good description
I have been given this tea towel recently. Isn't it gorgeous? It certainly will not be used to dry dishes! It is currently pinned to my design wall in the 'Studio'. I must get used to calling it instead of the 'Music Room' which is what is was when Michael was alive. We held concerts in there!!

Until the new bookcases arrive (next week?), there is no point in having a major clear out there but I am doing a bit of preparation.












And another present!!! Aren't I the lucky one!! And they also are pinned to the design wall.


Apart from washing all the indigo  dyed yarns today, I have made two copies of the Morning Glory book. I gave away a lot at Christmas and did not realise that I had none left at all. I will make another two tomorrow. I am not committed to anything tomorrow and I hope to work my way through a lot of odd jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.