Friday 10 February 2012

Various

I have realised that there are photos on the web of the exhibition at Staffordshire University's Betty Smithers Collection   See here.   There is a photo of 'More Shoes' in No 20.

 After all the nice stencilling yesterday, I turned to the cover of a book I want to rebind. It is a copy of Omar Khayyam and belonged to my father. I have a design which is of the roof line of an Oriental city with a tower and I cut a stencil for it. Yesterday, I created the sunrise and painted the city but today I do not like it. Amongst other problems, it is too ragged. Part of the problem was my mean Scottish soul which used up jamjars of an old mix of acrylic paint and textile medium. The idea is use JetFx to get the title et cetera onto the cover. Despite adding more textile medium, it has all dried very stiff and is likely to crack when wrapped round a book. Woe is me. As I have already dismantled the book, I have no going back option. So possibilities are

1) Use the existing stencil and make up a new mix
2) Use the existing stencil and use textile inks
3) Abandon the existing stencil and get a Thermofax screen made. In which case I could use acrylic paint + textile medium. I will have a play in Photoshop and see if I can get a good city roofline.

With the usable left over mix, I painted these pieces of cotton and they have come out well. They will be usable.

Now off to Photoshop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.