Tuesday 31 January 2012

Tidying Up

The 12 shaft loom has gone on its rounds and the 4 shaft Dryad has found a loving home. The last I saw of it was Roy Young (the Guild's man about looms) and the new owner peering at it  in the boot of her car and discussing which of them should take it home. One shaft needs some repair.

I am in 'Finishing-Projects' mood at the moment. I finished off a batik shirt of Michael's which I remade for me. A problem about buttons. In the end I removed the originals, made button holes on the female side and added some Dixie Nichols buttons and put on ribbon as a collar. I have a 'Ribbon Stash' and I know that this length of ribbon with waterlilies was bought near Gawthorpe Hall in a Lancashire market 30 years ago. I knew it would come in handy one day. Michael knew it was useless trying to get me past a ribbon shop in Europe. There is a fabulous one in Strasbourg in Petit France and another in Amsterdam on the way to the RijksMuseum.

I am going to a natural dying day in Birmingham today and am taking the rest of the indigo vat from the Newbury Coat. I assembled everything yesterday and should just have to pack the car. I have wound a warp of 2/16 cotton and tied it up for Ikat. Some of it looks okay but some may have gone wrong. This piece is intended to get me back into weaving ikat and I have already remembered a lot. It is more than  five years since I last did any. Then I tried warp and weft ikat and it was all horribly wrong. I reckon I now know what went wrong and am starting up again. I deliberately chose 2/16 cotton. Last time I was working in 90/2 silk. and a width of 24 inches.  The current piece is 12 inches wide. Let me get the technique right first and and then I will try fine silk again. The current piece is intended to be for warp only and then warp plus weft. So I will have to dye some more yarn for the weft later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.