Tuesday 27 September 2011

Cards and Napkins

I spent yesterday (Monday) at Grove with two Kennet Valley Guild members, Chris Fletcher and Jean McVeigh. The idea was to make some of my DPW weavings into cards. I knew Chris and Jean were real afficionados of card making. butI was astonished at the way they approached doing the cards and the equipment they had. They spent 2 or 3 hours discussing what to do with each motif and then in the afternoon, they made one sample for each motif - see photo above. In one case, they redesigned the card three times, discarding the first two designs as not good enough.  My meagre contribution was to make some tassels for  the bookmarks. They thought that one section of weaving would be better as a bookmark. It was stunning - but my photo did not come out. They are proposing to run a production now and say it will not take long to complete them all. We all need to be very grateful to these two for using their expertise for the good of the Guild. And I got a smashing lunch.



Today, I dealt with the napkins, cutting them apart after zigzagging the edges and then hemming them. I also prepared the handouts to go with them which was a problem as it is based on filling up a form but you cannot import any graphics so how do you get the draft in? Answer:-you print the form out, stick on the two drafts, a photo of me and the notes because the form refused to allow a Carriage Return and so you only got the first line printed. Then scan it into the computer, get a pdf file and print that out. Bah!!

I also dealt with the upcoming exhibition, invites to our Private View have gone out, lots of emails sent. I have just about done everything I need to do before I set off but I admit that I keep remembering odd jobs that have to be done now!! And I must go off and complete one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.