Saturday 17 September 2011

Books

I have always been keen on libraries - and books, of course. I am currently in Leamington Spa looking after two of my grandchildren while their parents examine the Book of Kells and the Guinness factory in Dublin. Last night I searched their bookshelves and found `The Anglo-Saxon Library'by M Lapidge. It dealswith what books were and might have been in the libraries of Lindisfarne and York and others. Fascinating!!

I have always been interested in how we come to have ancient texts. How come the National Theatre can put on a play by Euripides which was written over 2000 years ago? How did the text come down to us? It must have been copied over and over again. How many texts did not make it? I have a few other other books on this topic and several on libraries. Then again there are fictional libraries, The Name of the Rose, Borges' library and, of course, the incomparable Librarian of Terry Prachett. He had some strong words about people. He approved of people who loved books but not of people who read books because the books got worn out.

I have a book on the history  of the Thousand and One Nights in which it says casually that in the 12th century lending libraries (run by book sellers) of Cairo, the 1001 Nights was the most borrowed item. Book sellers? Lending Libraries? 12th  century?

I could go on a bit here but had better not. What have I done this week? Michael's will was signed off for probate and I had to go to another lawyer to swear an oath. The full bit -  'Take this New Testament  in your right hand and say after me - - - -`

I also picked up the tickets for the Japanese trip which provided some surprises. Two weeks ago the travel agent asked what I wanted to see in Okinawa and he would see if the travel firm had any helpful data. So I provided six names on the basis that it can't hurt to ask. What came with the tickets was a personalised book (our names on the front) and in there was a page on each of the six people. Telephone number, address, map and directions, what we can expect to see, to do, to buy. You couldn't ask for better.

 In addition to all this excitement, I went to Greenham to look at our Exhibition space for Oct/Nov and have written it all up together with an alarming to-do list. I also went to Leek to spend the day demonstrating to the public. Friendly and chatty lot up North. Only one or two people did not stop for a chat.

I have been here in Leamington Spa since Thursday evening and, apart from going to Bournville, I  have created a textile work  which is nearly okay but not quite. I am going to unpick some of it. At Bournville, I spent the entire time preparing a large piece of cotton for shibori dyeing. The idea was to dye it at the class but I did not finish in time so will dye it during next week.

At home, the Megado has both warps wound on and I have started threading. I need a few more Diversified Plain Weave drafts as we want to make cards for sale at the Exhibition. So I brought my laptop with me and have created one of a butterfly and one of a dragonfly. I think I might do a fish and possibly something for Christmas cards for me. They are not needed urgently so I will not weave them till later in the year. In order to get everything woven up by next week end, I have cancelled next week!!! I now have Monday through Wednesday free and should be done by then.

In the meantime I must attend to the grandchildren. Lunch time then off to Esporta. I have already sat through a riding lesson this morning.

2 comments:

  1. ... and think of how many different versions there must have been, before printing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought our family were the champions for accumulation of books, but our neighbour just told me his father left him 12,000 books. He lived on a farm and gradually converted one barn after another into a library.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.