Wednesday, 21 September 2011


Here are a few rows of motifs to be made into cards. Each row will provide 10 motifs and I have six rows completed so far. I decided to do these first which was a better idea than I imagined because it enabled me to find and repair about seven errors, crossed threads and the like. And of course such correction does not wreck the whole row just one or two motifs.  These are about 2.5 inches square.

I have also learnt a thing or two about Diversified Plain Weave and spent some time late last night changing all the drafts to make the background look better although I can't see that improvement in the photo. The fishes were done this morning and the blue butterflies last night before the changes.

So I am pleased about this exercise. I will carry on with the card motifs for today and start on the serviettes tomorrow. The Megado is playing up a bit and I must check all the shafts before I set out on the major weaving exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.