Sunday 10 April 2011

A New Life

The tumult and the shouting dies
The captains and the kings depart

Well my king and captain has departed, taking with him the regrets of a lot of people. Lots of people I did not know turned up at the funeral - all people who knew him through his work.

And now I have to remake my life which all seems very odd. We (my sister, her daughter-in-law, her grand-daughter, Anne and her family) all met up at the Cotswold Wildlife Park yesterday and spent a very hot day there. We inspected the meerkats and the parrots and the reptiles and took a train ride and had a Mr Whippy cone plus chocolate flake.  No pressure to get back home or phone up to find out how Michael was. But a tendency to weep for no good reason.

The family is determined to keep me occupied. I have a feeling that this may not work but we'll see. Today Anne and family are here for lunch, my sister is still staying with me and my life is mapped out until next Thursday.

On reviewing the status of textile projects, I find I have to meet three deadlines by May 1st and there is another deadline on May 5th. So I have been working hard on the Megado. Except that I have had to unweave bits which have errors. I inspected all the shafts carefully but could see nothing wrong. After weaving a few more inches, I was exasperated enough to have another closer inspection and found a long length of thick cotton twined round the bottom of three of the shafts. There have been no further mistakes but I have only done about six inches. But I live in hope. I need to wind the next warp soon so that it is ready to tie on to the ghost warp on the Megado on Tuesday. My plan is to have it tied on and ready by Thursday, 14th and off the loom on Sunday, 17th I have ordered and received the cotton for the warp after that and need to wind the warp and have it ready to start on Monday 18th. Well we'll see, won't we. The time scale seems a bit ambitious to me.

So no pictures this time but the garden looks very fine. All the camellias are out and the magnolia too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.