Wednesday 27 October 2010

Mutlicoloured Warp

This is a scan of sample wefts on the multicoloured warp. From the bottom
- A rust flecked wool mixture. Too thick to provide a 'square' diamond. I would need to sley at 16epi. Currently the warp is sleyed at 20epi.
- a Linton Tweeds yarn which is a mixture of three separate threads. Don't like this - too messy. Again thick yarn.
-a cotton crepe from Texere. Nearer square and the diamonds stand out nicely.














This is a photo of the samples. Same as the scan but there is more to see and there is a bit of 2/10 cotton at the top












Here is a longer piece woven in 2/10 cotton - ice-blue in colour. The strange edges are due to my operations in Photoshop trying to tidy up the background.

Now the question is what to do with the rest of the warp. I have more than two yards left. Michael asked me what else I needed to try and I am not sure there is anything.

The next question is what have I learnt.

The ghost warp has worked. All the knots went through the reed and the heddles with no problems. It has woven up okay with no tension problems.

The warp has partially worked in the sense that I have managed to  line up the colours along the warp - mostly. However the contrasts along the warp are over whelmed by the variation in colour across the warp. There is a question as to whether it is worth bothering with a space dyed warp at all.

But that does not affect what I have on the loom at the moment. I think I shall re-sley on a 8 dent reed and use the red flecked wool. The fabric is quite thick and would make clothing, cushions, upholstery depending on the weft. Anyway I love the final fabric colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.