Tuesday 12 October 2010

Busy Busy Again - but back to weaving.

This is a piece of cotton dyed using Procion MX dyes and pole-wrapping technique. Done by Michael. My function is to wash the dye out and iron it! Interesting.

He has decided to do silk next as the other, more complicated examples, did not work so well in the cotton and a thinner fabric is called for. So last night I dug out all the remnants that I have picked up at Beckford Silk Mill over the years and washed them all. They are probably dry by now but I am not going out to the garage in the dark and my pyjamas. 

I managed to finish steaming all the work left over from Sunday before Monday lunch. That is all rinsed and hanging up to dry in the garage. In the 25 years we have lived here ,I don't remember ever putting a car in the garage!

There was time in the afternoon to tidy up upstairs and weave some more purple scarf.   I worked out what the new Megado warp would be and have half-wound a ghost warp.

The other major thing done yesterday was a lot of ordering. I had run out of a few acid dyes before Sunday and ran out of even more on Sunday so I ordered them up. The problem is that I use three different suppliers so three lots of postage. I had a lot of other stuff to get from Fibrecrafts anyway. I also agonised about hand made paper for the Japanese-style bookbinding course I am running in November. At the last Guild meeting, I gave a short talk to the students on what they should expect and showed samples of binding. They were all enamoured of the handmade paper. Well it is expensive stuff and I hadn't bargained for supplying everyone with that. So I have ordered some Khadi paper (Lokta is far too expensive!!!) and will have to charge anyone who wants to have some. Everything including some really nice Japanese paper and fabric is included in the course cost. I need to put some time into making up packs for the students and my grand-daughter, Maddie, is coming over to help me next Monday. I also need to see what fabric I have already backed with paper and do a whole lot more. It takes a good 12 hours to dry so I am only going to demonstrate how to do it at the course.

It is only seven o'clock and I am off upstairs to finish my ghost warp off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.