Thursday 14 October 2010

Injecting Dye into a Ball of Yarn

Maggie Mockeridge dyed three balls of yarn last Sunday by injecting colour with a syringe. When I steamed these three balls on Monday, I realised I would trouble getting them dry. Fast forward to Wednesday when they are just as damp as on Monday so I skeined them and hung them up. Dry this morning!! The colour does not show up well. Where the photo shows subtle variations in colour, that's real! Very attractive. The other skeins were all dry by Wednesday and await the next Guild meeting when I will return them to their owners.

I have managed to wind on the ghost warp on the Megado and it is all ready for threading up. As usual, the threading is not a nice repeat and so I have created a draft to help. This uses the threading as a liftplan so I can raise the next shaft and that's the one that needs the next thread. Works very well. Not an original idea. I read about it on Weavetech.

I have not done any homework for three weeks in Creative Textiles so spent the evening preparing for tomorrow. Cutting and Bondawebbing on to calico to make a bag. I cannot do any machining because the machine is being PAT tested (PAT = Portable Appliance Test). But it is looking good. I hope it will look even better after tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.