Saturday 6 March 2010

Tencel Curtain

I posted a photo of four different skeins of 20/2 Tencel (under Artistic Choices). I selected two colourways. I have wound 200 gms of 16/2 Nm white Tencel into two skeins. 16/2 Nm works out at 8000 m/kg or 4000 yds/lb. The Tencel from JustOurYarns says 20/2 (cotton scale?) and has 2000 yards in 113 gms which is 4 ozs so 8000 yds/lb. Maybe I should have dyed the 30/2 NM which would be 7500 yds/lb.
Here are the two skeins, after soaking in water plus Woolite and in their Procion MX dye plus salt solution and soda solution. Each bag contains 6 teaspoonfuls of dye solution (bright pink) plus 100 ml of salt solution and 100 ml  of soda solution, topped up with 500 mlitres of water. The skeins were thoroughly kneaded through the plastic and then left for 24 hours. Then they were rinsed - and rinsed - and rinsed. When no more dye came out, they were washed in water and Woolite and hung up in the garage
They look a very bright pink.

This is after drying. One dyed skein with one skein of each of the two space-dyed blends from JustOurYarns which I intend to use. The idea is that the warp will be mostly the red/green with a few stripes, probably one inch wide of the pink/orange with my dyeing as the weft in a 3 (warp) and 1 (weft) broken twill. I have just done the sums and it comes out okay. I need 5 yards of 24 inches wide for the curtain I want. It will not be a balanced weave but I can live with that.

Today I did a class on drafting with the weaving class students weaving paper spills into prepared 'warps' of paper- see Tidying Up. They all managed all four examples and went off happy (I hope!).

Tomorrow I go back to the draft for Michael's enamels. With four layers of cloth inter-changing, I wish I could see what I had planned!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.