Sunday 31 January 2010

Sunday Tidy-Up Day

Yesterday was Weaving Course Day and, as promised, I took a photo , with permission, of Marie FitzSimmons stunning sample for the Kennet Valley Guild Black Jack. This is woven in cotton and it is about 8 inches wide. I can see three different repeating patterns in this, a pattern of black stars, a pattern of white stars and a pattern of circles and ellipses. The draft is called 'Little Stars'. The choice of colours has something to do with just how wonderful I think this is.

The class is beavering away. All the beginners started weaving. The improvers were tying on or warping up or just weaving. An air of industry was obvious. It was all good therapy for me. 


I decided, while driving home, that I need to get out as much as possible in the next few weeks as time might be constrained when Michael gets home.


So today, I set out at 0930 to drive to Nature in Art at Twigworth which is hosting the Wildlife Photography Competition. And the Artist in Residence was Sue Waters, Textile Artist (see photo on left). She does not have a website which is a pity. Her work is collage in silk dupion and the pieces are machined stitched on with silk thread. The choice of thread colour is impressive. If you look at the damsel-fly on reeds carefully, each reed is a different colour of silk and the machine stitching down each edge outlines the reed very effectively. She uses silk dupion because it is heavy enough to be crisp. Several of her pieces were on show, mostly wildlife or landscapes but she also had cushions covered with geometric patterns, I am guessing, based on Mughal windows and Islamic tiles.

The Wildlife Photography exhibition did not seem quite as good as last year. Last year was the first time I had seen it so perhaps that was it. Nice photo of a locust which is worth seeing. I bought the book so that I could share it with Michael.

I have done the last of the removals in the loom room so we are all ready for tomorrow's invasion of decorators and electricians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.