Wednesday 13 January 2010

More and more snow

I went over to Cheltenham General Hospital and spent Sunday night over there. It was the first time I had seen Michael for a week what with Worcester Royal infirmary (=WRI) closing to visitors and the snow on the Malvern Hills. The ward is not very fussy about visiting hours so I was able to spend a lot of time with him. He is still not able to walk but his mind is okay. He has been reading Karl Popper and J E Gordon's Structures and asking me to order up some more books. Which would be here if the post could only get to us.


I thought that I would dig the car out today and go over to see him but there has been another heavy fall of snow overnight and my major problem is getting out on the local road - which is a very steep hill and is treacherous at the moment. So I have abandoned the idea.  The patio furniture (left) looks cute. I love the squared off block on the table - 10 to 12 inches high. The fox tracks which were there yesterday are filled in this morning and so are my own boot marks. I was short on bread but knew we had some yeast in the fridge so made bread yesterday. That and the contents of the store cupboard and freezer will keep me going.


Yesterday I completed 5 metres of silk on the Megado and cut it off, mended it and washed it. It is now ready to be ironed and then I will see if it is okay. The temple marks on the selvedge seem to have disappeared. But a close examination on the ironing table will tell me.

Trials putting photos of Tampa Bay behind those of cut-out caladium leaves continue and I have done all that is needed for one side of the book's pages. More practise with PhotoShop CS! What you see on the left will be folded down the middle and is 2 pages. I have started on the front cover and processed lots of photos for the other side of the book's pages.  Not sure about text yet. I don't want just photos. Suppose I use the names of the caladiums and find a photo (not including a caladium) to match each?

1 comment:

  1. I love J E Gordon's books, not just the Structures one, also the New Science of Strong Materials. Very readable!

    What a good thing you had yeast in your stores. I'm sure none of us anticipated this kind of snow and it lasting so long. It's good to have some colourful indoor hobbies.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.