Sunday 3 January 2010

Bah Humbug

New Year got off to a cracking and unwelcome start. We went out to lunch on New Year's Day and had a great time. Good food and good company. Michael was complaining of pains in his legs. By evening he had lost the ability to walk so I took him to the A&E in Worcester. Eight and a half hours but they kept him in hospital so life revolves around getting there for visiting hours. He will have an MRI scan tomorrow and, until then, we have to wait. Yesterday was spent sleeping and answering the phone, telling family and friends what was up. Today I have actually done the ironing, lots of washing and managed a bit of weaving.

Before this happened, I got out the paper I intend to print the Rainbow book on. It is Bockingford double sided Inkjet paper. I had to revise my plans immediately. The paper is 190 gsm and far too thick to fold so my plans to include two foldout pages had to be ditched. I also redid the layout after the first trial printing and created end papers.
The front endpaper says Rainbow and I found out how to get an image into the text in Photoshop.


The back endpaper is just a partial rainbow on a real sky - photographed at Bosham harbour. I do not need a double page spread for the endpapers because it is a Japanese stab binding.

I have found suitable dyed cotton in the stash which will be the cover material. I do need some suitable cord. I may have to make some using kumihimo but that is quite restful and will calm me down.
I have tried the Inkjet printer to make sure it still works as I have not used it for a month or so.  I must now go and look for a really nice picture and print it out on the Bockingford paper to test that.

A Happy New Year to you all with lots of textiley happenings and a calm and peaceful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.