Tuesday 24 February 2015

Daryl Lancaster

I have been a fan of Daryl Lancaster (see her blog here) fan years, well since Convergence in Denver. At that Convergence, I signed up for a conducted tour of the fashion show with her and it was an eye-opener. She was so knowledgeable about turning handwovens into garments. So I have kept a close eye on her since then.
 
A few weeks ago, I came across a reference to a forthcoming webinar by her (Handwoven Yardage and Sewing Tips) and signed up for it. It was run last night and was very good. I have never done one of these before and had expected to see her in person but no, one still photo of her at the beginning and we were into a Powerpoint presentation with her voice explaining things. I rate it as very good. She covered dimensions of yardage, sett, selvedge and so on. A bargain at $20.00. And there are another four to follow!
 
I got one thing out of it immediately. Last week I bought a sewing pattern for a zipped up jerkin. When I laid it out on the fabric, the fabric is not wide enough. No way I could do it. But after Daryl's webinar, I looked out some other fabric to see if I could find anything suitable to piece in. I have some that will do and one which is perfect but there is only a scrap of it. Could I cut up a scarf? Daryl made a dress out of scarves. I am off to rummage through the boxes of fabric again. And would someone mind telling me why I have 5 yards of black velvet devore?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.