Saturday 21 February 2015

Bach at Dillington Hall

This weekend is a new experience for me. I have relied on Michael for fifty years to tell me what is what in music. When he died, I slowly realised my tastes were quite different. I did not mind his taste in music (Hadyn quartets) but I did not choose it myself. It took me several years to realise that the only Bach CDs we owned were ones I had bought. And there were not many of them. A few of instrumental  music, the Christmas Oratorio and that was about it. So by consulting the BBC archives of Building a library, I acquired a few more but got stuck on the cantatas. Then I bought Castle in Heaven by John Eliot Gardiner. 

And now I am at a Manor House in deepest Somerset on a Bach Weekend. And as an extra treat, I have just attended a harpsichord recital. The trouble is I used to play one before my hands gave up and now all this familiar music is rumbling about in my head. 

In another thirty minutes, it will be off to hear another lecture on Bach. All very intellectual. I am just about keeping up. Seven lectures each of at least ninety minutes!

I should say the Manor House is splendid, honey coloured sandstone, built in the early seventeenth century. Complete with camellias in flower and a magnolia grandiflora and a croquet lawn. Food is distinctly moreish. Photos have been taken but I have not brought the transfer mechanism. 

But I have thought about textiles. I am thinking about the Children of Lir and wondering if I could make and print Lino cuts, scan them into Photoshop, turn them into Thermofaxes and screen print a warp. Kennet Valley guild is having a big exhibition thei autumn and the theme is boxes. I have one in Perspex and could wrap the Children of Lir round it. Mull over it a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.