Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Garden

I inspected the garden carefully yesterday and I am not happy. Mahonia Charity is nicely budded and will clearly be a yellow mass in a week or two which is fine. What is not so fine is Camellia Cornish Snow. This is the earliest camellia with us and it can be counted on to be in flower on New Year's Day. Last year it refused to wake up until early March because we had a bad winter. This year it is very well budded but no way is it going to flower for at least a month. Does this mean we are going to have another horrible winter?  And the eucalyptus is leaning over even more. I had a nice straight prop put under it a few months back, diameter about four inches. It is seriously bowed now.

The weaving on the Megado is progressing. I can easily weave half a metre a day. The concertina book project was halted yesterday while I thought and I can see a solution which I will try out today. Yesterday I assembled all the Christmas cards and addressed and even posted them at midnight on my way back from  Leamington Spa. Today I will fetch back my Bernina from its service. It is a nice machine but it does need servicing regularly. Which costs. I had a Cresta for 40 years and the servicing was done by me. The only reason for getting rid of it was one part wore out and the f irm has long since gone and I could not source a replacement part. I should got one of my subcontracting engineering firms to make me a replacement. It might have been expensive but cheaper than all this servicing. Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.