Friday 20 December 2013

Many and Various and Convergence 2014

I had a Christmas card this morning which contained a  nice review of the course I ran on Woven Shibori togther with a photo and a reference to a student's blog on the topic,  Blog on Woven Shibori course. This contains lots of photos which surprised me. It seems like they all enjoyed it.

Yesterday I set out at 1500 hours and drove to Blewbury where I visited some old friends - dating back to my research student days. A lovely tea in front of a blazing open fire and lots of gossip exchange. Then on to Moulsford Cricket Pavilion where a group of textile enthusiasts meet once a month. The objective was a lesson in spinning, wheel and fibre kindly supplied by Linda Scurr and advice supplied by Carol Crowdie and Linda. I managed (with a lot of help) to spin two bobbins full, very lumpy. Then I plied it, even lumpier. It is now in a skein. Everyone advised me to call it textured yarn. Hmph. It may well be textured but lot of it is not yarn. I am NOT showing a photo of the skein.

I stayed with Rosie Price overnight and drove home this morning with some red cottolin which must be warped up asap. This is for  Kennet Valley Guild's entry to the National Exhibition next May and must go to the next Guild meeting in January to be passed on to the next weaver. I have wound the warp and must go and wind it on.

I have decided to go to Convergence in 2014 which will take a bit of organising as I have to get from Newark to Stockholm. This can be done very expensively in a nonstop flight or at a third of that cost if I stop at Rejkavick (spelling?) for an hour. Now to fill up all the HGA forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.