Thursday 25 April 2013

IstanbulFirstDay

We walked round Istanbul yesterday from 0900 to 1800 and were worn out - too much! We saw the Hippodrome, the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia not to mention two bazaars and going up to the top of the Galatea Tower to look down on Istanbul and its waterways. So where to begin?

The Spice Market

Tiles in the Blue Mosque

An internal door in the Blue Mosque above and a cushion in Ikat below. There were two or three stalls in the Grand Bazaar selling Ikat - very bright colours. Mostly what the sellers were pushing was carpets but our guide says No, not in Istanbul, wait till we get to Cappadocia. I have no intention of buying a carpet anyway. I have asked where the Turkish marbled paper is but the guide does not know and has promised to find out. There is said to be a roomful at the Topkapi Museum where we are going today.

Our guide has led us to two decent restaurants where the food was (presumably) Turkish. Very enjoyable and not at all expensive.

 

1 comment:

  1. The spice range looks interesting. Any idea what the mixed colour stuff is?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.