Wednesday 13 June 2012

Creative Development (3)

There have been some comments on my diatribe (?) and some  personal emails too from some of my favorite people, all being very supportive. I don't know that it got me anywhere. I am even more certain that my mixed media/textile wall pieces are rubbish. Though they do make acceptable cushions. One thing I have done over the last few days is to transfer my bookbinding notes to a new book. I have serious trouble trying to track down which book my notes referred to. So I have rewritten 3 years of notes into a new, much larger, book (made by me, of course) and photos are now  pasted in next to the relevant notes. This is a great improvement. The other thing I have done is to tie on the Megado's warp. I last wove on the Megado in late March!! And I have to report that the computer system is all working and that the lack of cables snaking across the floor is a great improvement and the lighting is great. I was weaving using only daylight until 7 pm last night. And I am enjoying the weaving.

This is the current state of the Megado - the basis of the 2012 Christmas cards. After I have finished them, I am going to weave some fireworks!!! I should have another 6 yards of warp.

I have been reading Edward Bawden's London which the V and A have just published. I have always liked Bawden and to have a whole thick book of his work is inspiring. I have also bought The High Street which has illustrations by Eric Ravilious. This too has been republished by the V and A. I own 5 or 6 of the original 1930s illustrations. I also own some Wedgwood china in Ravilious designs. I have to say that these pieces were bought some years ago before he caught the public's eye again. I doubt I could afford to buy a whole tea set now!!! And I love it too much to use!!

And although these books are very cheering, a certain amount of gloom has descended as I try to sort last year's accounts out for the Inland Revenue. Why is it that there are always bits of paper missing? Only three this year but each will take a while to find out who to phone, phone them, get through (remembering to dig out any passwords, and/or memorable numbers they might want) and explain what I want. An annual statement ought to be  legally obligatory from anyone who holds my money.

To set against that, I made a slipcase for the repaired children's book this afternoon. I will cover it in book cloth tomorrow. This morning I found a rather splendid piece of paper  to use as lining. It has cupcakes and iced buns all over it. I also found a piece of paper with fishes on it - I have been hunting for this!! Hurrah.  This is for endpapers for teh 20,000 Leagues under the Sea which is the next bookbinding project.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.