Monday 18 June 2012

Brighton Weekend

Some of the family went to Brighton to stay with my eldest grandson, Tom, over Saturday night and this is us dressed up to go the opera at Glyndebourne on Saturday night. L to R, Anne, Alex, Anne's son, me and Ruth. The opera and the setting were great as was the picnic we had in the grounds in the nterval. The only thing wrong was that it was very cold so we were wearing a lot of strange clothes from the back of Anne's car!!

The opera was Janacek's The Cunning Little Vixen. Very well sung but oddly staged.




 On Sunday morning we were at Brighton Pavilion by 0930 and walked round. It has been much restored since I saw it last which must been 30 years ago. Probably the best place to visit in the UK.

After that we walked round the lanes, not buying expensive jewellery and clothes but I did find a first-rate paper shop and bought some 1930s style wrapping paper to use as end-papers or even covers.
Of all things. we had lunch in an Indonesian dumpling shop - which was very good and I introduced Anne to Dan-dan noodles.

And in a crafty cafe, a knitted model of the Pavilion!














This is Brighton Station in all its wrought iron glory - neatly painted in blue and gold. This gives a totally false impression as the Station was heaving at 0915 on Sunday morning. People were pouring out to spend the day in Brighton. I am not surprised. It's a very attractive place. Anne and I were trying to work out how easy it would be to live here.






I intend to pursue the topic of where to put one's artistic efforts but that will be tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Do I remember a similar photo last year - dressed up for the opera? Chris W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. We went to see Cosi Fan Tutte with my grand-daughter - much enjoyed. In fact this trip is a sequel to this as Alex expressed a desire to go to the opera.

      Delete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.