Monday 16 May 2011

Flower Cakes

At the Spring Gardening Show on Saturday, we went into the Flora Art section. Over done, Most of them were 6 ft tall and have lots of bits of ironwork involved. Not something for the home, more for a hotel lobby.  Not many people looking at them.

But against the wall was a row of tables and something small which there was a big crowd round. And this is a photo of the First Prize entry which is a 'chocolate cake' made of real flowers and leaves. and definitely not edible Even the little curls of chocolate round the base are actually dried and rolled up leaves. And there are two more photos below.


I forgot to take my camera. These photos were taken on a mobile (!!!) by Robert Long, emailed to my daughter, Anne, who processed them and emailed them back!! Worth the effort though.









This is another prize winner. Everyone was leaving with a smile on their face. What higher praise can you give?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.