Wednesday 4 May 2011

Deadlines Met

Yesterday morning I got all the samples off to the States yesterday for the Complex Weavers Study Group on Tied Weaves. Then I settled down to stitching in all the ends in the four pieces of Tencel. I have ended up with three scarves and a 2 yard-plus length, all 12 inches wide. When these were pressed and photographed, I found I liked the first one best. After washing, it hardly shrank in length but went down to 11 inches in width.


This morning at 0630 I was pressing it to finish the drying. An hour or two later it was wrapped up ready for posting.

But I have yet to tell you of the events of yesterday afternoon. This scarf is being submitted to Just Our Yarns in the States for an Exhibition and the closing date is tomorrow. When I went to register, the website had no facilities for anyone who lived outside North America!! It doesn't say that in the rules! So I emailed them querying this and, an hour or two later, it was open to anyone anywhere (well more or less). So I registered. But it does mean they don't have any other submissions from outside North America yet.

I have been working on and off on a textile piece about Africa and did a bit more last night. I have taken to pinning work in progress up at the end of  the corridor to think about what to do next.

Today I spent in a Study Day at Birmingham Botanic Gardens. A lovely hot day and lots to see, draw and photograph. This was with the Bourneville class. 

The next few days had better be spent tidying up. I still have all the stuff I brought home from  the Pop-Up weekend scattered around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.