Thursday 19 November 2009

Vale Of Evesham V (2)



 The separate weavings have been tidied up. Fringes have been trimmed and the pieces stuck on to black mount board with double sided sellotape. Before doing that,  I spent some time arranging and rearranging the six pieces but, in the end, put them on to two separate pieces of mountboard. The Vale of Evesham V is shown on the left. I have a lot of foam board in the garage used at past exhibitions and no longer needed. I cut up one sheet and backed the mount board with it. The sandwich is very lightweight but quite stiff and will stop the mount board curling.




The apples and pears are below.


So that is a project completed.





I did start another project this evening but came to a halt rapidly. I had woven a piece of cloth in the summer to make Christmas cards from. Tonight I located everything, thoroughly ironed the cloth and it looked fine. Then I spread out everything on the dining room table and started applying double sided sellotape to the cards. Not enough!! I ran out after one card.  I toyed with the idea of setting out in the car to trawl Malvern for double sided sellotape but decided that at 0830 pm, they would all be shut. Oh well.

The Xmas card cloth was woven at the end of a long warp using some grey 60/2 silk as warp  and the weft was some beautiful dyed 20/2 tencel from Just Our Yarn in a broken twill. (I made a smashing waistcoat out of that). The cards are also done in broken twill but in coloured stripes, using up every scrap of exuberant yarn I could find in my stash. There is fancy knitting yarn, some viscose ribbon (pale green) and some sari yarn (the grey and black). There is a scrap of chenille as well. Hence the thorough ironing needed. There are sets of stripes of the right length for the cards with 6 weft throws of mid-brown cotton between each set to make the cloth easier to cut up. Each set will get me five cards. Well that's tomorrow spoken for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.