Monday 16 November 2009

A New Project

I have three inches to go on the Megado and then it all comes off, making way for the next project. I should have started this earlier. I have a picture in my mind  and have bought some more colours of Uppinghams silk. By the way, they say this is 70/2 NM. I don't believe it. I think it is 90/2. I went to the bother of measuring out a fixed length and weighing it. And if you think a weighing machine can't be accurate enough, think again. Mine is accurate to +/- 0.1 gm. This works out at 60epi. Anyway I have all the colours I want but this will not be a striped but a blended warp.



























The problem is how to translate what is in my mind to a colour chart for warping up. I have matched the colours of our Sennelier soft pastels to each cone. You can see some small scraps of card with writing on next to each cone. We could not match everything so the missing ones have been ordered. I will make a 3 inch square of each colour on paper and carefully position these. When I have something I like, I will photograph it and also make up a 25 inch by 3 inch full version. None of this is going to happen till the new pastels arrive so I will process the current weaving on the Megado. I should have started on this earlier - like 4 weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.