Thursday 10 November 2016

Japan Day 12

This is Friday. On Wednesday, we were bussed across the country to a Western port and took the ferry over to an island, Naoshima. This is totally devoted to modern art with at least four museums. The hotel is in the same complex and was also built by the architect, Ando. The biggest gallery contains Richter, Hockney, four Warhol and so on. Quite a lot of other stuff as well.

The second one is totally underground and is lit by light funnels. No artificial light. It contains five Monets (I do not care for Monet). Three Tyrell's and one Maria. And the gallery is a disorienting experience, lots of very dark corridors where you have to feel your way and then dazzling outside spaces. It is enormous and contains very little. So you can guess I was not enamoured.

In the evening we had a grand Kai-seki meal in the first gallery. Very good.

No photos allowed anywhere so nothing to show you. I might be able to take some of the outside sculpture this morning. We are off to Osaka today, fly home tomorrow. On the whole an okay holiday but the trip with Ruth was much more enjoyable.o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.