Sunday 15 March 2015

La Donna del Lago

Or the Lady of the Lake. Last night I went to see this Rossini opera at the local cinema beamed from the New York Met. I had never heard of it before and it can't be done very often. It is based on a long turgid epic poem by Sir Walter Scott which I had to study at school. Dreadful stuff. However Rossini has taken the story and made a masterpiece from it. But it needs some fantastic singers - which the Met had. Juan Suarez and Joyce di Donato to start with and the other three main singers were their equal. Wonderful. But I am, still not a fan of Sir Walter Scott. That is the my last MET opera for the 2014-5 season. Definitely going out with a bang.
 
The theatre complex was heaving last night. They were doing something in the theatre which was clearly popular and there was a concert on in the arena. As a result they started the opera at 5 pm in order to spread arrivals, bar drinks and intervals. This meant I was home at 0845  and could watch the programme on David Hockney starting at 9. Very good.
 
Yesterday was a weaving course day. All the students are getting on well. Most of them have finished their first project  in tweed and are well on to their second. It is uinteresting how varied they all are. I have some photos but I have qualms about showing them in case readers think they are mine. I would hate to get credit for such good work which I have not done.  So I will not show them. Yes I know other teachers do. This is a grey area. I notice that Daryl Lancaster show her students work with the student in the photo - and sometimes in the garment. Maybe that is the way to do it.
 
On Friday I completed the Coptic belt. I need to wash it and tidy up after myself. Today's job is to complete tying on to the ghost warp. I am having second thoughts about using it a second time!! I am distinctly bored with tying on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.