Friday 16 August 2013

Billy Budd

I made several mistakes yesterday - all in timing. I had not realised what a distance I had to go so instead of arriving at Brighton at 1430 I turned up an hour later. However we got to Glyndebourne by 1645. Time enough to get a glass of champagne and wander round the garden, admiring the flowers and the people. It was a fine evening so the people having picnics were lucky. I had opted for a bought dinner since the last time we were there we had a very wet, windy and cold picnic.

But to the performance. It was first rate with Mark Padmore singing the Captain, all the singers very good and the layout magnificent as the inside ribs of a wooden ship. There were cannon to be rolled out too. And yes I did cry in the next to last scene. A wonderful performance. I have seen five or six productions of Billy Budd, maybe even more but the only one to equal this was at Birmingham with the Welsh National Opera where they had Robert Tear as Captain Vere. And a whopping great mast centre stage where the sailors shinned up and stood on the yardarms.

And now I have to return to earth. Going shopping in the Brighton Lanes this morning. Looking forward to seeing what the knitting cafe has in its window. I have seen a knitted model of the Brighton Pavilion and a working Ferris wheel! I will take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.