Saturday 16 February 2013

Handspun Weaving Under Way

Yesterday (Friday) Linda Scurr came over and we wound on 7 yards of handspun which had been tied to the ghost warp. No problems at all. The wounds inflicted by the Newbury Coat are still raw in my pysche and I was frightened that we would have similar problems. Of course, the yarn for the Newbury Coat was singles and spun by all levels of spinners and the current yarn is plied by an expert spinner sohardly any problems at all.   One knot came undone while we were weaving and, after the final tying on, I found one error of crossed threads. Which is all good. It is weaving up at 9.5 or 10 ppi while the warp is sett to 9 epi. So no point in any sett adjustments. We don't have enough yarn to complete the weaving although I have enough to keep me going for a bit but then I will have to wait till next Saturday when Linda brings me the rest of the yarn.
 
In the meantime, I spent some time considering what I was going to do with the silk bourrette warp - in detail. This is going to be Pat's interpretation of the Malvern Hills as seen from Castlemorton Common in winter. I will paint the warp when it is on the loom  and stencil it when it comes off with a drawing of the famous pollarded black poplars. I sorted that out last night and it has gone off to be turned into a Thermofax screen.
 
 
 
The other thing I have done is to try knitting a fish from binder twine - I don't recommend it. There is no give in the twine and it is hard work. This took me nearly an hour to knit!
What else? Well I have been given a lovely present - an orange tree. I hope it survives in the sitting room. There is plenty of light as it is by a Southfacing  window but it might be too near a radiator.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.