Saturday 4 June 2011

Nine Posters - Two To Go

I finished off as many posters I can do yesterday morning. There are nine done in all now and I need to assemble the data for the last two today at the Guild meeting. I am quite pleased with the results although it was very hard work.

Yesterday afternoon I went over to see an old friend who lives on Clee Hill. This is the view. The slight haze has been intensified in the photo and you can't make out the Malvern Hills which were quite visible to the eye. I had forgotten how much I liked the piece of country between Malvern and Clee Hill. Bromyard and Tenbury Wells are on the way, just as attractive as ever.

The country side is one of littleness, little fields, little valleys glimpsed through the farm gates, little hamlets called Tedstone Wafre and Edwyn Roach and isolated farmhouses. It does not have the tidiness and agribusiness look of the Vale of Evesham. I had to drive through a ford to get there and some of the roads had grass and weeds in the middle - always a bad sign.

Jennifer is an iris breeder, specifically siberican irises. Once upon a time, I was too, not of the same kind of iris but what is known as an arilbred. Anyway in those days sibericas were shades of blue. Not any more as you can see from the photo. Yellows, reds, a near black. A close up is shown below.

We spent a lovely afternoon gossiping and admiring irises.









A real beauty.


















I got up early this morning and wound a warp to take to Guild, assembled all the things I need to take. Major items for today are

- all the yarn, handouts, samples and notes for the Woven Shibori class
- the Newbury Coat stuff, woven fabric, leftover yarn, pieces of card for each of the spinners,  and the 'weaving plan'
- warping mill, ball winder, bobbin winder and bits to show people how to tie on a warp.
- Guild Loom with ghost warp on it for practising tieing-on.
- all of Linda's sheep photos in three great big albums
- some of my stuff for Show and Tell
- a collection of bits and pieces I have been asked to bring or am returning
- oh and lunch

Even writing this list has reminded me that I have not printed out the latest copy of the weaving plan. I hope I don't come back with so much stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.