Monday 20 June 2011

Busy Week

I had a busy week last week. On Wednesday, there was the Woven Shibori class at the National Needlework Archive, Newbury. This is a new venue for us. A midweek class is unusual for Kennet Valley Guild but that was the only time it could be fitted in and our usual venues (church halls) are full of toddlers midweek. I recommend the NNA as it is very reasonably priced and much better  lit than the average church hall. I had been too ambitious in telling everyone that they had 'only' to weave four one-foot samples in the day. Oh well. So we all took our looms home promising to weave one or two extra samples for those who had not managed to do all the weaving which was everyone. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The results will be on view when they have been dyed in an indigo vat in August.

I did some - not much - tidying up later in the week but concentrated on weaving the extra shibori samples as I need the Voyager back!! When those samples were cut off, I warped up for a class on Biederwand and Lampas I am attending this week in Devon. Everything now ready for me to take to Devon tomorrow (Tuesday)

Friday was Bournville day and I spent the time thinking about what I was doing next.

Saturday, Madi came over (grand-daughter) and helped me clear the hall cupboard of Michael's sheet music. It is all stacked in a cupboard in the cellar now and I have got a lot of yarn in the hall cupboard which has freed up space upstairs. Then we had a go at the upstairs room and got everything off the floor!!  It is now obvious that the carpet needs cleaning - my excuse is that I haven't seen it for a bit. 

Sunday I went to Blewbury to attend the Golden Wedding celebrations of some old friends. A lovely do. It was nice to talk to the 'children' who are the same age as mine! I recall getting caught in a snowstorm on the Downs with most unsuitable clothes on, like shorts and T-shirts only  and carrying a three year old because he had turned purple with cold. I really was very worried. He is more than 6 inches taller than me now.

Monday is today. And I have managed to get through all the necessary jobs including laying out and labelling everything I need to take to the Newbury Coat weekend. I need to check with Rosie that I have everything she is expecting.

It is a very restful day.

I went out to pick some gooseberries and realised that the blackcurrants and the red currants were ready. So picked all the blackcurrants, and some of the other two. I now have bags of fruit in the freezer including some of Summer-pudding-mix. The gooseberry crop is very heavy this year.

 This is Clematis Vagabond just outside our front door - one of Michael's favourite plants.
























This was also a favourite  although he admitted that it was a thug. It is 12 foot high in this photo and was 20 feet  a few years ago. We cut it back because it was getting a big leggy but it is reaching for the skies again. It is Rose 'Plein de Grace'. There is a six foot trellis supporting it somewhere in the heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.