Thursday 27 January 2011

Dorothy's Suggestions (2)

Another suggestion from Dorothy was, that if I felt I was looking through something , why not add some window panes. I tried four - looks very odd but six is okay and maybe 8 would be better. I can lay out ribbon or bias binding on it - if I ever cut it up!!!


I have done lots of weaving today, and am now about halfway through the yellow lace scarf. I have got the calculations wrong though. It is using a lot more yarn than I thought. I don't often get it so badly wrong but I will have to dye some more yarn yellow for trh log cabin scarf.




This started out as trees in flower woven in Summer and Winter. I pinned it up at the end of the corridor, then added the flowers and put it back for a few days. Today I added the fence and then a few bits of grass. It is pinned up again waiting for a decision as to whether or not it is finished. Title is 'April Rain in the Orchard'. At one point, I fancied two hens and a cock beneath the trees but decided I was not expert enough to make them small and recognisable!!

Added later - I fancy the idea of a rook in one of the trees. I think I could manage that in black felt.

1 comment:

  1. I like the combination of weaving with further elements that lift and extend the original design. I find the new line directions of fence and grass particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.